Please be aware that there has been a significant increase in scams taking place in the area. Don’t provide personal or financial information in response to an unsolicited call or email. Always use a secure network and shop on legitimate websites.
Remember that scammers:
- Try to gain trust by claiming to be from a well-known business, government agency, or impersonating a known contact.
- Will suggest their own verification procedures, like going to websites they have created or calling numbers they provide to you.
- Know how to appeal to your emotions and press your buttons to get what they want.
- Create a sense of urgency to get you to make decisions without thinking.
- If someone calls you and demands that you pay them with gift cards, you can bet that a scammer is behind that call.
For more information on popular scams visit: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/features/scam-alerts